The benefits of using a steering wheel cover is that it hides any defects but also provides protection against dirty hands. Investing into a quality cover can improve the aesthetics of the cars interior and can improve your grip of the steering wheel.
The best steering wheel cover is the SEG Direct Leather and Microfiber Cover, which is a universal fit and provides an improved grip with a sporty design.
Most are designed to be compatible with the majority of factory and aftermarket steering wheel sizes. For peace of mind, you can measure the diameter of the steering wheel at the center using a tape measure.
Table of Contents
- Steering Wheel Cover Comparison
- 1. SEG Microfiber Leather Steering Wheel Cover
- 2. Zadin Heated Steering Wheel Cover
- 3. ValleyComfy Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover
- 4. Sino Banyan Crystal Steering Wheel Cover
- 5. Wheelskins Universal Steering Wheel Cover
- 6. Tvird Heated Steering Wheel Cover
- 7. Yontree Faux Wool Steering Wheel Cover
- 8. AOTOMIO Universal Wood Steering Wheel Cover
- 9. Bell Automotive Boho Steering Wheel Cover
- Steering Wheel Cover Buying Guide
Steering Wheel Cover Comparison
|Steering Wheel Cover||Material||Size|
|SEG Direct||Microfiber Leather||14.5 - 15.0 Inches|
|Zadin Heated 12V||Microfiber||14.5 - 15.0 Inches|
|Valleycomfy Universal||Genuine Leather||14.5 - 15.25 Inches|
|Sino Banyan Crystal||Woolen Fabric||15.0 Inches|
|Wheelskins Custom Fit||Genuine Leather||14.5 - 15.0 Inches|
|Tvird Heated||Microfiber Leather||14.5 - 14.96 Inches|
|Yontree Fluffy||Faux Wool||14.96 Inches|
|AOTOMIO Wooden||PU Leather||14.0 - 16.0 Inches|
|Bell Automotive Boho||Flax Cloth||14.5 - 15.5 Inches|
For those that drive particular old or high mileage cars, installing a steering wheel cover can instantly update the interior. They are available in a range of styles to suit your requirements and match the design of the interior.
Below is a list of the best steering wheel covers that protect and hide any defects as well as improving your grip.
1. SEG Microfiber Leather Steering Wheel Cover
In order to match an array of car interiors, it is also available in several different designs. In terms of the compatibility, the brand state that it will be suitable for 14 1/2 inch to 15 inch steering wheels.
Features of the SEG Direct Cover includes:
- Universal fit for standard steering wheels
- Skid-proof and heat resistant
- Improved grip with a sporty design
- Uses eco-friendly materials
- Odorless scent
Overall, the SEG microfiber leather steering wheel cover is one of the best options for all-round performance. The design has an OEM look and feel, which ensures that it doesn’t spoil the cars interior.Check it Out
2. Zadin Heated Steering Wheel Cover
The Zadin heated steering wheel cover is by far the most rated for providing instant warmth for those freezing winter mornings. It’s a universal fit for the majority of standard steering wheels and has a 14.5 to 15 inch diameter.
It’s important to note that in order to activate the heating elements inside of the cover, it must be connected to a working 12V cigarette lighter.
Other features of the Zadin Heated Cover include:
- Universal fit for most steering wheels
- Durable and washable cover
- High heat efficiency of over 99%
- Warms up in less than 30 seconds
- Non-toxic material
- Anti-skid for maximum grip
- Sweat absorbent
This is the new and improved version by the Zadin brand and it’s by far the best heated steering wheel cover available. It’s more expensive than some of the heated alternatives but it’s built to a much higher standard.Check it Out
3. ValleyComfy Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover
An alternative to the SEG Direct design is the genuine leather ValleyComfy steering wheel cover. It is available in 8 different designs that is suitable for all standard sizes that range between 14.5 to 15.25 inches in diameter.
Features of the ValleyComfy Leather Steering Cover include:
- Universal fit with a hassle-free installation
- Heavy duty genuine leather that is soft to touch
- Easy to grip and control
- 100% odor-free smell
- Skid-proof, stable and heat resistant
Overall, the ValleyComfy steering wheel cover is a great option with a desirable design. The genuine leather is extra thick and soft to touch with the brand claiming that its heavy duty and will be long lasting.Check it Out
4. Sino Banyan Crystal Steering Wheel Cover
If you are want a unique cover, the Sino Banyan with crystals embedded into the fabric. It is available in 14 different styles with the option to purchase other covers for the handbrake, seat belt, headrest, push start circle and shifter.
Other features of the Sino Banyan Crystals Cover includes:
- Universal fit for car steering wheels up to 15 inches
- No distortion or fading upon extreme temperatures
- Uses a durable woolen fabrics
- Sparkles when exposed to light
- Hassle-free installation
For those that are trying to add some “bling” to your car, the Sino Banyan steering wheel cover is the best option. It may not be to everyones taste but the unique crystals that sparkle in direct light are a great addition and you can buy all the accessories to match.Check it Out
5. Wheelskins Universal Steering Wheel Cover
One of the most expensive options is the Wheelskins steering wheel cover, which is constructed of a premium genuine leather. The brand offer this cover with a choice of 11 different colors to suit your cars interior.
Other features of the Wheelskins Universal Cover include:
- Genuine leather domestic cowhide
- Suitable for sizes between 14.5 and 15.5 inches
- 11 different color options
- Patented lacing holes for reinforcement
- Individually handcrafted in California
It is a premium option that will be too expensive for many but a worthwhile investment. The tight fit provides a superior look and feel, which is available in a range of colors to suit your requirements.Check it Out
6. Tvird Heated Steering Wheel Cover
Investing into a heated steering wheel can be very beneficial for those in cold weather. Gripping onto something cold can make you feel even colder but by using the Tvid heated cover, the coldness can be a thing of the past.
In terms of installing this cover, it simply slips onto the steering wheel and then you plug the adapter into the 12V cigarette lighter socket for heat.
Features of the Tvid Heated Steering Wheel Cover include:
- Raises the temperature up to 95 to 115 degrees
- Standard fit at 14-1/2 to 14.96 inches in diameter
- Provides protection against UV rays
- Plugs straight from the cover to the 12V port
- Fast heating time compared to alternatives
- Easy installation
Considering that ordering a heated steering wheel from the factory costs thousands, the Tvid cover offers great value for money. For safety reasons, it isn’t advised to use the heating functionality whilst driving. This prevents the cord wrapping around the steering column.Check it Out
7. Yontree Faux Wool Steering Wheel Cover
For those that fancy something different, the Yontree is ideal with its super soft fluffy design. It is available in 8 different colors to suit your cars interior and is ideal for keeping your hands warm in the cold weather.
Features of the Yontree Steering Wheel Cover include:
- Universal fit for standard steering wheels
- Soft and luxurious faux wool
- 3 piece package for maximum coverage
- Can be trimmed if required
- Does not shed wool as with cheaper alternatives
It comes as a complete package that includes the steering wheel, gear shifter and handbrake cover. It is not an obvious choice for many people but for those that want a unique cover to keep their hands warm, it is the perfect solution.Check it Out
8. AOTOMIO Universal Wood Steering Wheel Cover
Wood is often found in some vehicles and matching the cover to the interior provides a great matching finish. The brand offers three different cover sizes to suit steering wheels that range from 14 inches to 16 inches for larger alternatives.
Other features of the AOTOMIO Wooden Cover include:
- Odorless and comfortable materials
- Only available in black with a wood finish
- PU Leather construction
- Universal fit for standard sizes
Overall, the AOTOMIO is an excellent all-round steering wheel cover with luxurious look and feel. It is also compatible with smaller or larger sizes, which is ideal for those with unique steering wheel sizes.Check it Out
9. Bell Automotive Boho Steering Wheel Cover
Bell Automotive are known for their racing helmets but they also produce a range of other products such as this steering wheel cover. It is available in three different styles and is a universal fit for standard sizes from 14.5 to 15.5 inches.
Other features of the Bell Automotive Boho Cover include:
- Odor-free materials used in the construction
- Flexible for a quick and easy installation
- South West inspired design
- Patented hyper-core technology
- Flax cloth fabric
Overall, the Boho Cover by Bell Automotive is an excellent all-round steering wheel cover that is available with impressive designs. It is also produced by a reputable brand known for their quality for peace of mind.Check it Out
Steering Wheel Cover Buying Guide
Installing a steering wheel cover instantly updates the interior and can improve your driving experience. They are available in a wide range of different styles, materials, thickness and colors to suit your requirements.
The majority are designed to fit standard sized steering wheels, which range anywhere between 14.5 inches to 15.5 inches. If you have an aftermarket alternative or an abnormal steering wheel, you may want to check the dimensions beforehand.
To help you make an informed buying decision, we have produced the below guide regarding steering wheel covers.
As mentioned previously, all the recommendations are suited to standard wheel sizes, which range between 14.5 to 15.5 inches. Most will stretch up to an inch but you should purchase a cover suited to the size of your steering wheel.
You may have a smaller steering wheel than the cover, which can also cause issues. Some manufacturers include a fastener that allows you to tighten the cover but if there is too much slack, it will not be comfortable to grip whilst driving.
Common Materials Used
The majority of people desire for a genuine leather steering wheel cover but you must be prepared to pay the premium price tag. Alternatively, many brands offer a cheaper alternative, which is a microfiber leather that is just as stylish and durable.
Other materials include wool, cotton and other synthetic blends, which all have their own benefits. Leather covers are usually the best option as they perform well in all weather conditions with some brands offering heating functionality.
It is advised that you choose a cover where the brand states that its odorless. There is nothing worse than having a chemical/toxic smell in the car due to the cheap materials used.
Installing a steering wheel cover will result in the grip being larger, which may be an issue for those with smaller hands. It may also interfere with accessories such as a steering wheel knob that attaches to the grip.
How To Install The Cover
Once you have found the correct sized steering wheel cover, you will then want to fit it. Below are the recommend steps for a stress-free installation:
- Begin at the top of the steering wheel.
- Gradually pull it downwards and align it correctly.
- Fix it to the bottom of the steering wheel.
- Make adjustments if required.
- Attach the 12V cord if heated.
All the steering wheel covers will have a small amount of stretch to ensure the installation is hassle-free. You shouldn’t have to excessively pull but if you do without any luck, we suggest that you purchase a larger size.
As with most automotive products, there are cheap and premium options. The cheap alternatives may seem tempting but spending slightly extra for high quality materials will ensure that its long lasting. Considering that you will be looking and touching your steering wheel whilst driving, its worthwhile purchasing the best steering wheel cover you can get your hands on.
If you regularly have dirty hands or wish to update the interior, using a cover for a steering wheel is a great option. They are available in a range of different styles, materials and colors as well as a heating functionality for cold weather.
All of our recommendations are suited towards a range of budgets and standard steering wheel sizes. If you have installed an aftermarket or abnormal steering wheel, they may not work with standard covers.