If you want better sound quality and more bass at a loud volume, you will need to upgrade your car speakers. There are a range of custom speaker setups but straight OEM upgrades such as 6.5 speakers are an easy modification.
The best car speakers are the JL Audio C5-653 Evolution C5 3-Way that provide the highest sound quality and deep bass. The only drawback is the price but there are plenty of other alternatives if you are after great value.
The perfect recipe for deep bass and excellent sound quality is a car speaker where the woofer is a lightweight polypropylene or metal coated synthetic and is able to produce a high RMS and wattage.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best 6.5 Speakers For Bass
- 2 JL Audio C5-653 Evolution C5 3-Way
- 3 Alpine SPR-60 Type-R 6.5 Speakers
- 4 Infinity Kappa 60.11CS Car Audio Speakers
- 5 JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers
- 6 Pioneer TS-A1676R 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speaker
- 7 Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Coaxial Speaker
- 8 Hertz Audio DCX 165.3 Coaxial Speakers
- 9 Polk Audio DB651 Slim-Mount Door Speakers
- 10 How Do You Install Car Speakers?
- 11 How To Tell If Your Car Speaker Is Blown
- 12 What Size Car Speaker Fits?
- 13 Car Door Speaker Buying Guide
- 14 Conclusion
Best 6.5 Speakers For Bass
|JL Audio C5-653 Evolution||75 Watts||225 Watts|
|Alpine SPR-60 Type-R||100 Watts||300 Watts|
|Infinity Kappa 60.11CS||90 Watts||270 Watts|
|JBL GTO638||60 Watts||180 Watts|
|Pioneer TS-A1676R||50 Watts||320 Watts|
|Rockford Fosgate R165X3||45 Watts||90 Watts|
|Hertz Audio DCX 165.3||60 Watts||120 Watts|
|Polk Audio DB651||60 Watts||180 Watts|
An automotive sound system is an important aspect of any car and can help to shape the mood or scene. Performance comes from knowing your system and how to install it correctly without error or mishap.
The three best brands for car door speakers are JL Audio, JBL and Pioneer where all have been in the car audio game for many years. Sticking to these reputable brands will ensure your audio system is above average and will add value to your car.
Upgrading from your OEM car speakers is one of the best audio improvements you can do and is fairly straight forward. Below is a list of the best car speakers that provide deep bass and no distortion at high volumes.
JL Audio C5-653 Evolution C5 3-Way
JL Audio are aimed at car audio perfectionist that require the best quality sound from their speakers and the C5-653 Evolution are the top rated car door speakers for those audio enthusiasts looking to improve their audio.
The C5-653 Evolution 6.5 inch door speakers are expensive and if you are on a budget, these are not for you. These JL Audio coaxial speakers are mineral filled polyproplylene cone bodied where the woofer has a cast alloy frame that is 4 inches.
The door speakers have been designed to provide excellent linearity at high volumes and ensure distortion is at a minimum. The JL Audio 3 Way component system includes 2 woofers, 2 mid-range drivers, 2 tweeters and 2 crossover networks in order to produce high quality sound.
In terms of the specification, the C5-653 Evolution has an impedance of 4 ohms, RMS of 75 watts and peak power of 225 watts and being developed by JL Audio, you just know that they will provide the highest quality of bass.
If your budget stretches to the cost of the C5-653 Evolution by JL Audio, you can own the best car speakers you can buy. JL Audio have an excellent reputation for build quality and excellent sounding speakers and you will not be disappointed.Check it Out
Alpine SPR-60 Type-R 6.5 Speakers
The Alpine 6.5 car speakers are constructed of a multi layer hybrid fiber woofer with a 1 inch swivelling silk dome speaker. These are high quality materials used for car audio and completely transforms the sound.
In terms of the performance, the Alpine SPR-60 Type-R car speakers produce 300 watts peak power, 100 watts RMS and a sensitivity rating of 88 dB.
These are high performing car speakers for bass and sound quality but of course, they do come at a cost but not as much as the JL car speakers above.
Overall, they are the best car audio speakers for those who enjoy loud and clear music. The performance figures speak for themselves and you have the backing of a reputable audio brand such as Alpine.Check it Out
Infinity Kappa 60.11CS Car Audio Speakers
The Infinity Kappa 60.11CS are another large car audio brand and these 6.5 speakers have a peak power output of 270 watts and 90 RMS watts. It is a two way car speaker with a larger cone surface area for improved bass from the speaker.
The60.11CS model by Infinity also features a clever tweeter setup as they are completely adjustable. They can be adjusted clockwise and counter clockwise as well as adjustable levels for the ultimate car audio experience.
Infinity offer a 1 year warranty with these 6.5 speakers and overall, they are capable of producing large amounts of bass with the right amp setup. As they are 2 ohm speakers, you can get a lot of power out of them without losing sound quality.Check it Out
JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers
JBL have been creating premium speakers since the 1940’s and their GTO638 Coaxial door speakers are one of the best. The “Plus One Woofer” cones are patented and have been developed to provide deep bass at a high output. The 4-Ohm design pulls the most power possible from your car audio system.
The JBL GTO638 is by far the best car speakers for the money and for people who want bass, there is a lot of it. This is thank to a built-in crossover network with advanced high and low pass filters.
Alongside the latest woofer cone that JBL use is the My-TI super tweeter that produced high frequencies for an overall theater like experience.
All JBL speakers have been designed so that the basic DIY’er can install them. The GTO638 is a straight swap with OEM speakers, with installations rings to make the install even easier. Whether you own an aftermarket or factory stereo, these door speakers will be compatible.
In terms of speaker performance, the GTO638 will provide an optimum 2-ohm load when used with any top rated car amp. It uses a lower impedance voice coil in order to extract the most amount of power possible, which is 180 watts of peak power, with 50 watts RMS.
Pioneer TS-A1676R 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speaker
The Pioneer TS-A1676R is a powerful coaxial car door speaker with a 320 watt max power rating from a 3 way multilayer Mica Matrix Cone. This is the latest upgrade that promises improved bass quality and dynamic range with higher power handling.
Pioneer are known for creating aesthetically pleasing car speakers but for those that are installing these inside a door, which is covered by a mesh grill, it is hardly a deciding factor. However, these car audio speakers go much further than just looks.
Pioneer and JBL are direct competitors but this A1676R speakers are cheaper and provide more powerful audio. The improvements in the cone and the tweeter means you can listen to variety of music genres and keep the maintain the sound quality
The Pioneer TS-A1676R is certainly more powerful but the JBL speakers provides more deep bass. However, if you were to pair these speaker with a subwoofer designed for bass, you will have the ultimate match. The Pioneer speakers provide crystal clear vocals which is mostly due to the impressive tweeters.
Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Coaxial Speaker
If you are looking for affordable 6.5 car door speakers that provide good bass and sound quality, then the R165X3 by Rockford Fosgate is the answer. These will be a direct replacement to your original car door speakers and will take less than 10 minutes to fit the pair.
They are 3 way full range car speakers that use a polypropylene cone, silk dome tweeter and midrange to produce good audio sound quality.
The Rockford Fosgate R165X3 are the best cheap car speakers for your car door and includes a 45 watts RMS full range speaker with high pass crossovers. The maximum wattage is 90, which is more than adequete for a budget car speaker.
Hertz Audio DCX 165.3 Coaxial Speakers
In terms of performance from these door speakers are 60 watts RMS and a peak power rating of 120 watts. The Hertz DCX 165.3 are highly rated 2 way coaxial speaker that is made with high quality components for durability and crisper sound quality. The manufacturers even offer a years warranty with these speakers.
The party piece of the Hertz DCX 165.3 is that they feature a pulp cone with cotton fiber woofer and polymer rubber surrounds. Mated with an anti vibration rubber magnet cover, these speakers allow for powerful punchy bass whilst keeping distortion to a minimal level.
The one problem with these speakers are they are on the expensive side. However, you are rewarded with high quality materials that provide distortion free loud audio through your door speakers.
Polk Audio DB651 Slim-Mount Door Speakers
Polk Audio DB651s provide max power and sound quality on a budget. Polk themselves are not a massive name in the car audio world but they are gradually gaining traction with their extreme value for money when it comes to car speakers.
The DB651S speakers by Polk can even be used in the marine environment, which means if your car might be near water i.e. an offroader, then these speakers may be a really good option in terms of durability.
In terms of performance, the Polk Audio DB651 packs a peak power rating of 180 watts and a RMS of 60 watts. This is champagne performance on lemonade money and for cheap car door speakers you will be highly impressed.
How Do You Install Car Speakers?
Installing car speakers is not as easy as “plug-in and play”. For starters, you must be sure your current audio setup is able to work with the speakers and some have limited channels from the stereo or the amplifier is not able to cope. Once you are sure that is not the case, you can go ahead and begin the installation, which is as followed:
- Check the dimensions of the speaker – The majority will be a standard size such as 6.5 coaxial speakers.
- Disconnect the battery – Before wiring anything in, there must be no current flowing through.
- Remove the grill or door card – You will need access in order to wire in the speaker.
- Disconnect the old speaker from the harness – There may also be foam you need to remove.
- Install the new harness and connect the speaker – One connected, ensure there is no movement.
- Test the speakers – Test all the speakers and ensure the whole audio setup is still all working
- Put everything back together – Once complete, test again.
This installation is a very basic setup and will follow closely to a straight OEM swap. However, many car audio enthusiasts may choose a custom setup for more bass and extra sound quality as per below.
How To Tell If Your Car Speaker Is Blown
Blowing your speakers can be a real problem, but at the right volume, any type of sound can cause damage. Here are some steps to check if the speakers in your system have been blown and need repair.
- Turn on your car and insert a sound disk or mp3 that you listen to often. Play a song that you are familiar with so that you can accurately review the sound quality. Make sure that the song or sound is being played at the correct volume.
- Listen for the distortion and try to recognize it. If you hear crackling, or the sound is muffled, then one of the speakers might be damaged. While the song is playing, try to discover differences. Look for a lack of range in the song or sound that is being played.
- After the distortion has been confirmed, then look for the speaker that is damaged. If you have a pan system or a way of isolating sounds in the car, then use these controls to locate the damaged speaker.
- Once the speaker is located, the next step will be to disconnect the speaker wires. After the wires from the speaker have been detached, connect them to a nine-volt battery and observe the speaker. If the speaker still works, then the speaker is fine, which means that there is a problem with the wiring.
- Use a multimeter tester for a more accurate reading when checking the wiring. Check the OHMS, and if the reading is 1.0, then the speaker is not blown and it is something else that is the problem. If the reading is infinite, then the speaker is blown and needs to be changed.
- Inspect the amplifier and see if it affects the sound. If distortion is heard, then that can mean there is a bad fuse or capacitor, and that your speaker is not damaged.
- Check out the fuse box and see if all of the fuses are operating at their full capacity. Use a multimeter that is set to the “conductivity test” to check for this problem.
What Size Car Speaker Fits?
When you are deciding to install new speakers into your car, you need to make sure that they can fit. All the work will be for nothing if the speakers are not the correct size and you will have to cut into your door card in order to make them work.
So that you are not left disappointed, below are some tips so that you are not left frustrated:
- Check the measurement markers for the inbuilt speaker brackets. This can make it easy to fit the new speakers into the old speaker’s slot. Not all speakers have these markers, it is best to check to see if they do.
- Check the manual that came with the car for any information that can be useful for setting up the size of the speaker. Use the data in the charts provided as a guideline when trying to install the new speakers into the car.
The majority of car speakers are a standard size unless you go for something very custom. Below are some of the standard sizes for most car speakers:
- Speakers that are six by nine inches give good sound quality, but without being loud in your ear. The size is reasonable and can fit with a plethora of vehicle designs and styles. They may be smaller than woofers and subwoofers, but they can still take up a large amount of space.
- Speakers that have a range that is five by seven offers a wide range of sound and clarity. This size is also good with fitting into a large variety of car models. The only bad thing about using these types of speakers is that they have specific ports and they will not work with the wrong adaptation when installing into an audio system.
- Six-point five-inch speakers are your basic models that you place inside of a car audio system. This is the norm that is found in most vehicles and such is the standard for speakers in a car. They offer a wide variation in sound output and will adapt to most car systems because they are standard.
- Woofers and subwoofers have a range from eight to fifteen inches and can display a variety of sounds and increase bass power with the size.
- Tweeters are speakers with a size that ranges from 1 inch to 2 inches. They give good support to the other speakers when adapted to a sound system. Tweeters allow the sound system to balance itself.
Size and style play a large part when it comes to quality and sound in a car. The right sound system needs the right speakers in order to attain the best potential for listening pleasure. A sound system should run at its optimal efficiency by following these steps and making sure to know the correct information before installing.
Car Door Speaker Buying Guide
Knowing the right information can be a value when it comes to installing car door speakers. Knowing tips and tricks that can make the work easy is always beneficial and can reduce time and cost.
The range of the frequency determines the sound quality and how it is directed. By adjusting the frequency of the speakers, you will be able to increase the effect of the sound. Tweeters function as a means of creating high directional high-frequency sounds and if they are aimed at the correct angle, they can produce a most dramatic effect.
Using crossovers allows for an even distribution of the frequencies between the woofer and the tweeter. Power isn’t wasted between the speakers because frequencies aren’t reproduced by units in the system that aren’t meant to handle those sounds.
The result is a cleaner audio system with high efficiency and quality sound. These crossovers also include bi-amping which allows for the system to have separate sound amplification for both woofer and tweeter. This type of design is used for high-performance systems when they are installed.
When we discuss variables such as, Power Handling, we are discussing the amount of power that a speaker can handle. Low powered systems don’t need speakers that will handle large amounts of electrical output.
On the other hand, systems with high amounts of power need speakers that can handle large amounts of power. The secret to Power Handling is the power handling for the maximum RMS and not the peak power. Real measurements look at the extended amounts of time that a speaker can handle power, not short intervals.
Type of Speaker – Full Range (Coaxial) or Component
When trying to decide what type of speaker will fit best into a car system, one will have to consider the possibilities of Full-range and Component speakers. Full-range speakers provide all of the elements of a speaker in one.
They have a woofer for the low-end ranged sounds and tweeters for the high-end ranged sounds giving the unit a full range of sound frequencies. Some designs also include additional sound add-ons such as midrange and super-tweeter.
Use Full-range speakers to replace the factory ones without having too much trouble or issues. Full-range speakers carry a wide variety of designs and types to accommodate all models of car audio systems. There is a wide variety of prices and power ranges to choose, allowing for greater versatility and they can fit into any budget.
Another type of speaker, called the Component speaker, is designed to give you superior sound. A component system uses separate woofers, tweeters, and external crossovers to create a dynamic audio system that offers better sound quality.
The units can be placed in many different types of locations to acquire a better sound experience. By using Component speakers, a person can find the most adequate potential for “imaging” the sound system in the car. These types of speakers are made out of better materials and can offer exceptional sound quality and detail.
When trying to decide what type of speaker is best for a system, it is best to consider the effects of impedance. Impedance means the amount of resistance electricity will have when sending it to the speaker.
Less resistance means more electrical signal will get through to the speaker. It is best to check the impedance range of a speaker when connecting it to an amplifier. Not all amplifiers are set to work with the same impedance when it comes to speakers. Review the material about the impedance on a specific speaker to see if it will match your system.
The measurement of speaker sensitivity concentrates on the amount of sound a speaker can yield when power is applied to the unit. Low power systems are ranked at a level that is 15 watts RMS per channel or lower. These include many types of factory installed speakers that are in cars.
These types of speakers do well with high sensitivity rankings that range in 90 dB. If your system is high powered, such as 16 watts RMS or higher, then you are going to need speakers with a low sensitivity ranking. With the correct powered system, the sound quality will be quite excellent.
The material that the speaker is made from also plays an important part in the quality of the sound. It will also determine the durability of that speaker as well. Woofer materials are stiff yet lightweight in nature and are made from a synthetic material like polypropylene. Speakers with woven fabrics or metal coated synthetics are also used and can do well with a wide variation in temperature and moisture.
Tweeter materials are soft like poly, silk, or textile blends which makes the sound more refined sending out a mellow sound. Surround materials on woofers allows for free movement of the cone giving a much deeper bass sound. The material that is used is rubber based and provides excellent longevity, quality, and performance. Less expensive Surround Materials include Foam and Cloth.
Connection and Cabling
Having the correct speakers, woofers, tweeters, and any other component won’t matter if the devices aren’t wired correctly. The flow of electricity throughout the unit must be even and balanced in order to avoid problems with the audio system.
Amplifiers function as a means to provide electrical pressure to a circuit. OHMS are used when measuring resistance against the electrical pressure of the audio system. Watts are used to check the range of how much power will be released. Voice coils are used to create the electrical resistance and perform the duties of the system.
Problems can happen when the amplifier provides more power to the system than needed because of incorrect impedance adjustments. This causes the amplifier to shut down because of overheating before burning out. Consider the range and output of the amplifier when attaching it to the system.
Also, consider the outcome of wiring options that will change the level of impedance because of the cross connection of multiple sub systems and voice coils. Use dual voice coils to increase wiring options when setting up an audio system. Use RMS ratings to determine the power output needed for the amplifier to attain adequate sound quality for the system.
The price of many of these speakers can have a varied range depending on what type of system you have installed or would like to install. The cost can be anywhere from hundred dollars to more than one thousand depending on the system. In the car speaker world, the saying “pay peanuts, get monkeys” is very much applicable.
Hopefully the detailed buying guide and car speaker recommendations will aid your buying decision in the correct way. Before you go straight into purchasing your new car speakers, you may want to be sure your double din head unit or single din head unit is able to support the speakers. Outputs at the back of many stereo systems are different and won’t allow for certain car speaker setups.
On top of this, your battery in your car may have an extra electrical draw from these speakers and you will want to ensure it is at its best.