Keeping car batteries fully charged can be a difficult task but it’s made easier by using a car battery charger that can recharge or keep them topped up. Most modern chargers now offer multiple charging modes such as fast charging, maintenance, engine start and much more.
The best car battery charger is the NOCO Genius G3500, which can be used for 6 or 12V batteries and actively monitors the battery health whilst charging.
You could have the best car battery in the world but if it’s not getting charged via the alternator, it will eventually lose charge. Flat batteries can be very frustrating but owning a car battery charger allows you to restore them back to full health.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Car Battery Charger Comparison
|Car Battery Charger||Charging Amps||Engine Start|
|NOCO Genius G3500||0.75 to 26 Amps||No|
|Battery Tender Plus||1.25 Amps||No|
|Schumacher SC1325||40 Amps||Yes|
|BLACK+DECKER BC15BD||15 to 25 Amps||Yes|
|CTEK 56-353||7 Amps||No|
|Schumacher SC1280||15 Amps||Yes|
|DieHard 71326||30 Amps||Yes|
|BMK Bluemickey||5 Amps||No|
|Ampeak Smart||25 Amps||Yes|
|Stark Monster Charger||55 Amps||Yes|
Fast charging is a desirable feature of any car battery charger and can be achieved by higher amperage units. Portable chargers usually provided up to 30 amps but larger wheeled alternatives will provide far more power for faster charging.
The battery type and size determines the charger that’s best suited to your requirements. Larger vehicles use bigger batteries, which requires a more powerful charger. You also need to use a charger that’s compatible with standard, lead, gel or AGM batteries.
Below is a list of the best car battery chargers that are completely safe to use and feature multiple charging modes.
The Best Car Battery Charger
1. NOCO Genius G3500 Smart Battery Charger
The NOCO Genius is a portable car battery charger with a range of features that are compatible with most batteries. It can bring back batteries that have died or are close to dying and it can also be used simply to maintain a wide range of batteries.
Depending upon your requirements, the brand offer the charger in multiple different power options and is also suitable for marine, powersport, and lawnmower battery types.
Other features of the NOCO Genius G3500 include:
- 7 power levels available, ranging from .75 amps to 26 amps
- Charges both 6 volt and 12 volt batteries
- Works on lead-acid and lithium ion batteries
- Can be used as a maintainer
- Actively monitor the health of your battery
- Use spark proof technology
- Safe technology and design
- Reverse polarity and overcharge protection
The versatility of the NOCO Genius G3500 is what really makes it stand out from the alternatives. It’s one of the best car battery chargers available and also the most popular with a range of power options to best suit your requirements.Check it Out
2. Battery Tender Plus Car Battery Charger
The Battery Tender Plus is one of the best rated battery maintainers on the market that also doubles up as a fully functioning charger. This means that if you car isn’t in use for long periods, you can hook this car battery charger to the battery and use it as a trickle charger.
For complete safety whilst using this charger, it has a variety of electrical safety measures in place to ensure that the battery charges as efficiently and safely as possible.
Other features of the Battery Tender Plus include:
- Recharges a dead battery to 80 percent in 10 hours
- 12 volt charger with 1.25 amps of power
- Automatically maintains the battery at safe storage voltage
- 6 foot power cord and harness for difficult to reach terminals
- Temperature compensated charger for safety and efficiency
- Reverse polarity protection
- Lights to indicate charging status
The Battery Tender Plus is a charger and maintainer that ensures you can keep your batteries fully charged. The intelligent design addresses all the potential problems you could have and is easy to use. It’s also very efficient and automatically switches to a float mode when the battery is fully charged.Check it Out
3. Schumacher SC1325 Wheeled Battery Charger
The Schumacher SC1325 is a professional car battery charger that ideal for fast battery charging with minimal hassle. It’s fully automatic with multiple settings, so you can choose the most efficient charging option for your battery.
It also has an engine start feature, which allows you to get your engine restarted straight away in case the battery is completely dead.
Other features of the Schumacher SC1325 include:
- Fully automatic that is controlled by a microprocessor
- 250 amp engine start
- 40 amp engine boost
- 6 to 2 amp slow charge/maintenance mode
- Automatically switches to float mode when necessary
- LED lights indicate current charging settings
- Temperature overload protection
- Durable, heavy duty attachment clamps
Although it’s portable with the wheels, its more suited to a professional garage environment. The SC1325 is their new and improved wheeled model by the Schumacher brand that features additional functionality and is built to last.Check it Out
4. BLACK+DECKER BC15BD Battery Charger
The BLACK+DECKER Battery Charger is an affordable and efficient unit with a wide range of functionality. The standout feature is the automatic three stage charging mode that’s able to boost and maintain the battery level at a safe level.
In terms of the design, it has a compact, sleek construction with an intuitive large LCD display that provides clear feedback and is easy to read.
Other features of the BLACK+DECKER BC15BD include:
- Available in 15 or 25 amp version
- Works with most types of batteries
- 3 charging stages: fast charge, top off charge, and trickle charge
- 40 amp engine start boost option gets your car running in 90 seconds
- Battery recondition feature keeps your battery efficient
- Has reverse polarity protection
- LCD screen with battery and charging status indicators
- ETL certified for performance and safety
The BLACK+DECKER battery charger is an excellent investment for any car owner. It’s one of the most intuitive chargers to use and the compact design is convenient and easy to store. It also has the added bonus of an engine start and alternator check functionality.Check it Out
5. CTEK 56-353 Smart Car Battery Charger
The CTEK 56-353 is a compact and efficient car battery charger that features an eight step automatic charging process. Each step is fully automatic and work together for highly effective battery charging that requires no assistance.
It also features a wide range of safety functions that protect the battery and reduces the risk of electrical damage to your car. There is also a variety of charging accessories available from the CTEK brand that you can purchase along with the charger.
Other features of the CTEK 56-353 include:
- 7A Charging current
- Automatic 8 step charging
- Short circuit and reverse polarity protection
- Dust and water resistant
- Maintenance charging option
- 12 volt power supply
The automatic 8 step charging process is very efficient and ensures that your battery gets the best charge possible without overcharging. Overall, the CTEK 56-353 is a convenient, effective and affordable car battery charger that won’t disappoint.Check it Out
6. Schumacher SC1280 Portable Car Battery Charger
Another battery charger produced by the reputable Schumacher brand is the SC1280 model. It’s suitable for standard, AGM, gel or deep cycle batteries and features a fully automatic charging mode to avoid any damage to the battery.
A unique feature of this charger is the advanced diagnostic testing, which allows you to diagnose any electrical issues that’s causing problems with the battery.
Other features of the Schumacher SC1280 include:
- 15A to charge and 3A to maintain
- Reverse hook-up protection
- Multi-stage charging
- Auto battery voltage detection
- LED indicators and stop/start interface
- UL safety certified and DOE compliant
The Schumacher SC1280 is an excellent portable option that’s backed by a reputable brand for complete peace of mind. It also features bulk, absorption, equalization, desulfation and maintenance features to get the battery back to 100% health.
7. DieHard Gold Shelf Smart Battery Charger
DieHard are one of the largest manufacturers of car batteries but they also produce their own chargers. The Gold Shelf Charger is their most popular model they produce and it uses intelligent charging technology for added precision and safety.
As well as being able to charge and maintain, the charger is also capable of jump starting and providing a quick charge.
Other features of the DieHard Gold Shelf include:
- 12 to 30A boost and 80A jump start
- LED indicators and digital display
- Multi-stage 6/12V charging
- Automatically senses voltage
- Alternator testing capabilities
- Color coded clamps and a carrying handle
- UL listed for safety
Depending upon your requirements, the brand also offer two smaller chargers of their more expensive Platinum model for those wanting additional power. However, as an all-round car battery charger, the Gold Shelf model is the best option.
8. BMK 12V Car Battery Charger
The BMK is a simplistic charger that charges and maintains all 12V batteries. It has been designed to comply with the highest energy saving standards and can be used for other applications such as boats, motorcycles, lawn mowers and much more.
According to the brand, they have gone to great lengths to improve the safety of this charger. For example, it features 8 forms of safety protection and a 72 hour safety timer to prevent overcharging.
Other features of the BMK 12V Power Charger include:
- 4 stage smart charging at 5A
- Suitable for most battery types
- LED indicators for feedback
- Fully insulated and heavy duty clips
- Spark proof and quick disconnect harness
- Lifetime quality warranty
Although the BMK charger doesn’t have a digital display, it’s still very desirable due to the superior build quality. It’s an affordable option that’s suitable for multiple applications and battery types.
9. Ampeak Automatic Battery Charger
To ensure the automated functionality is completely accurate and safe, the charger uses a smart MCU controlled microprocessor for complete peace of mind.
Other features of the Ampeak Smart Charger include:
- Temperature protection
- Fully automatic functionality
- Comfortable handle and integrated cable storage
- Strong alligator clips and long charging cord
- Advanced safety protection
- Certificated by UL
- 18 month warranty
The Ampeak is a high quality and portable car battery charger that won’t disappoint. It has the bonus of an intuitive digital display that provides feedback of the battery charge and health.
10. Stark Wheeled Monster Charger
An alternative wheeled battery charger for professional garages is the Stark Monster Charge. As the name suggests, it has been designed to quickly charge a range of batteries by using a powerful amp charge.
For maximum durability, it has a durable steel casing and rugged battery clamps that can withstand heavy duty daily usage for many years.
Other features of the Stark Monster Charge include:
- Angled control panel for observation
- Engine start functionality
- 55 amp charger
- Fast charging time
- Wheeled design for easy transportation
- Multiple safety features
- Intuitive LCD display
- CE listed
Overall, it’s an easy to use and powerful car battery charger that’s perfect for all 12V or 24V batteries. The Stark Monster Power is designed for those with large garages or professionals and has a range of intuitive functionality that won’t disappoint.
Car Battery Chargers Buying Guide
Without owning either a portable jump starter or a car battery charger, you will be completely stuck when you have a dead battery. Unlike a jump starter, a charger will be able to safely charge the battery to its maximum charge.
Most modern chargers also have an engine start function that mimics the capability of a jump starter. Other desirable features found include a digital display, LED indicators and much more.
Amps and Voltage
Amps represent the level of power output that the charger has. The higher the number of amps, the faster and more powerful the charger is going to be.
Some brands also offer various models with different amp outputs, which allows you to choose the safest and most efficient charger for your car.
The voltage listed is indicative of the type of battery it can charge. Batteries come in different voltage levels and its critical that you choose a charger that’s compatible.
Types of Batteries Charged
Many chargers are compatible with several different types of batteries such as lead acid, lithium ion, gel, wet, AGM and deep cycling batteries.
In order to determine the exact battery installed in your car, it’s best to look in the owner’s manual or on the battery itself. However, the latest batch of smart car battery chargers are now able to work on a wide range of battery types to avoid any damage.
Car battery charger brands go to great lengths to further improve their chargers and maximize performance, safety and usability. Some of these latest desirable features include:
- LED lights to indicate the charge status
- Displays for visual feedback
- Reverse polarity protection to avoid electric shocks
- Fast charging capabilities
- Maintenance charging mode
- Automatic charging
- Auto voltage and amperage detection
- Battery desulfator capabilities
- Spark resistant clamps
- Engine restart
- Dust and water resistance
Every garage or household should own a car battery charger that’s suitable for a range of vehicles. All of our battery charger reviews are suited for all batteries that are used in automotive applications. The list of chargers also includes the best rated for performance and those that are suitable for tight budgets.