Upgraded car door speakers will convert the way you listen to your music. To get deep bass from door speakers, you will need a big woofer. However, the problem with this is that the majority of car doors will only cater for a certain sized speaker.
The best car door speakers are the JL Audio C5-653 Evolution C5 3-Way that provide the highest sound quality and deep bass. The only drawback is the price but there are plenty of other alternatives if you are after great value.
The best 6.5 inch coaxial speakers will be using lightweight polypropylene or metal coated synthetics for the woofer as well as having a higher RMS. With the amount of speakers available, it can be fairly difficult to spot the best speakers for the money.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best 6.5 Door Speakers For The Money
- 2 JL Audio C5-653 Evolution C5 3-Way
- 3 JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers
- 4 Pioneer TS-A1676R 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speaker
- 5 Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Coaxial Speaker
- 6 Hertz Audio DCX 165.3 Coaxial Speakers
- 7 Polk Audio DB651 Slim-Mount Door Speakers
- 8 How Do You Install Car Door Speakers?
- 9 How To Tell If Your Car Door Speaker Is Blown
- 10 Car Door Speaker Buying Guide
Best 6.5 Door Speakers For The Money
|Car Door Speaker||RMS||Power|
|JL Audio C5-653 Evolution||75 Watts||225 Watts|
|JBL GTO638||60 Watts||180 Watts|
|Pioneer TS-A1676R||50 Watts||320 Watts|
|Rockford Fosgate R165X3||45 Watts||90 Watts|
|Hertz Audio DCX 165.3||60 Watts||120 Watts|
|Polk Audio DB651||60 Watts||180 Watts|
An automotive sound system is an important aspect of any car and can help to shape the mood or scene. Performance comes from knowing your system and how to install it correctly without error or mishap.
The three best brands for car door speakers are JL Audio, JBL and Pioneer where all have been in the car audio game for many years. Sticking to these reputable brands will ensure your audio system is above average and will add value to your car.
Upgrading from your OEM car door speakers is one of the best audio improvements you can do. For deep bass and no distortion at high volumes, check the list below for the best car door speakers you can buy.
JL Audio C5-653 Evolution C5 3-Way
JL Audio are aimed at car audio perfectionist that require the best quality sound from their speakers and the C5-653 Evolution are the top rated car door speakers for those audio enthusiasts looking to improve their audio.
The C5-653 Evolution 6.5 inch door speakers are expensive and if you are on a budget, these are not for you. These JL Audio coaxial speakers are mineral filled polyproplylene cone bodied where the woofer has a cast alloy frame that is 4 inches.
The door speakers have been designed to provide excellent linearity at high volumes and ensure distortion is at a minimum. The JL Audio 3 Way component system includes 2 woofers, 2 mid-range drivers, 2 tweeters and 2 crossover networks in order to produce high quality sound.
In terms of the specification, the C5-653 Evolution has an impedance of 4 ohms, RMS of 75 watts and peak power of 225 watts and being developed by JL Audio, you just know that they will provide the highest quality of bass.
If your budget stretches to the cost of the C5-653 Evolution by JL Audio, you can own the best car door speakers money can buy. JL Audio have an excellent reputation for build quality and excellent sounding speakers and you will not be disappointed.Check it Out
JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers
JBL have been creating premium speakers since the 1940’s and their GTO638 Coaxial door speakers are one of the best. The “Plus One Woofer” cones are patented and have been developed to provide deep bass at a high output. The 4-Ohm design pulls the most power possible from your car audio system.
The JBL GTO638 is for people that want the best deep bass quality and is made possible from a built-in crossover network with advanced high and low pass filters. Alongside the latest woofer cone that JBL use is the My-TI super tweeter that produced high frequencies for an overall theater like experience.
All JBL speakers have been designed so that the basic DIY’er can install them. The GTO638 is a straight swap with OEM speakers, with installations rings to make the install even easier. Whether you own an aftermarket or factory stereo, these door speakers will be compatible.
In terms of speaker performance, the GTO638 will provide an optimum 2-ohm load when used with any top rated amplifier. It uses a lower impedance voice coil in order to extract the most amount of power possible, which is 180 watts of peak power, with 50 watts RMS.
Pioneer TS-A1676R 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speaker
The Pioneer TS-A1676R is a powerful coaxial car door speaker with a 320 watt max power rating from a 3 way multilayer Mica Matrix Cone. This is Pioneers latest upgrade that promises an improved bass quality and dynamic range with a higher power handling.
Personally, I feel that the Pioneer is the best looking car door speaker in this article. However, the majority of the time the speaker itself is covered by the door card mesh.
Pioneer and JBL are direct competitors but this A1676R door speaker is certainly cheap yet provide a more powerful sound. The technology improvements in the cone and the tweeter means you can listen to variety of music genres and keep the high quality sound.
The Pioneer TS-A1676R is certainly more powerful but the JBL speakers provides more deep bass. However, if you were to pair these speaker with a subwoofer designed for bass, you will have the ultimate match. The Pioneer speakers provide crystal clear vocals which is mostly due to the impressive tweeters.
Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Coaxial Speaker
If you are looking for affordable 6.5 inch door speakers that provide good bass and sound quality, then the R165X3 by Rockford Fosgate is the answer. These will be a direct replacement to your original car door speakers and will take less than 10 minutes to fit the pair.
The Rockford Fosgate R165X3 is the best cheap speaker for your car door and includes a 45 watts RMS full range speaker with high pass crossovers. The maximum wattage is 90, which is surplus for a budget door speaker.
Hertz Audio DCX 165.3 Coaxial Speakers
In terms of performance from these door speakers are 60 watts RMS and a peak power rating of 120 watts. The Hertz DCX 165.3 are highly rated 2 way coaxial speaker that is made with high quality components for durability and crisper sound quality. The manufacturers even offer a years warranty with these speakers.
The party piece of the Hertz DCX 165.3 is that they feature a pulp cone with cotton fiber woofer and polymer rubber surrounds. Mated with an anti vibration rubber magnet cover, these speakers allow for powerful punchy bass whilst keeping distortion to a minimal level.
The one problem with these speakers are they are on the expensive side. However, you are rewarded with high quality materials that provide distortion free loud audio through your door speakers.
Polk Audio DB651 Slim-Mount Door Speakers
Polk Audio DB651s provide max power and sound quality on a budget. Polk themselves are not a massive name in the car audio world but they are gradually gaining traction with their extreme value for money when it comes to car speakers.
In terms of performance, the Polk Audio DB651 packs a peak power rating of 180 watts and a RMS of 60 watts. This is champagne performance on lemonade money making these speakers the best cheap car door speakers.
How Do You Install Car Door Speakers?
- Review the sound system that you will be connecting to your new speakers. Several audio systems are designed with limited watts and channels, only allowing for a certain type of speaker. Adding more speakers or the wrong ones can actually reduce the quality of the sound or even cause damage to the audio system.
- Check the dimensions of the current speakers that are installed into the system. By reviewing the setup of the current speakers, you will be able to make small adjustments as to the fitting for the new ones. Speakers can come in many different shapes and sizes, so make a plan on how you are going to mount them in your car. Make sure to match the dimensions, so that the new speakers won’t have any complications when being installed into the new audio system.
- Think about the quality of the speaker and what are the materials that are used in its construction. Speakers with composite or fabric cones have noticeable better quality than those with paper. Ceramic permanent magnet speakers outperform the best as compared to wound electromagnetic speakers.
- Choose a trim package that goes with a particular style or color that fits the best. There are many different options, choose one that will enhance the look of the speakers and the car.
- Check the design of the wiring and the electronics of the speakers. There are many different types. Some door speakers allow for the addition of other sound system parts such as woofers and tweeters.
- What types of power requirements will be needed by your new door speakers? This will affect how the wiring of the sound system will be setup. Speakers with a high wattage will not operate correctly with factory wiring and thus difficult modifications may be needed.
- When installing the speakers, make sure that you have the correct tools to do the work.
- Disconnect the battery when installing the new speakers to avoid injury and damage.
- Review all instructions pertaining to the installation of the speakers.
- Review the steps that you will need to complete the work before doing the job to make sure that nothing was missed.
How To Tell If Your Car Door Speaker Is Blown
Blowing your speakers can be a real problem, but at the right volume, any type of sound can cause damage. Here are some steps to check if the speakers in your system have been blown and need repair.
- Turn on your car and insert a sound disk or mp3 that you listen to often. Play a song that you are familiar with so that you can accurately review the sound quality. Make sure that the song or sound is being played at the correct volume.
- Listen for the distortion and try to recognize it. If you hear crackling, or the sound is muffled, then one of the speakers might be damaged. While the song is playing, try to discover differences. Look for a lack of range in the song or sound that is being played.
- After the distortion has been confirmed, then look for the speaker that is damaged. If you have a pan system or a way of isolating sounds in the car, then use these controls to locate the damaged speaker.
- Once the speaker is located, the next step will be to disconnect the speaker wires. After the wires from the speaker have been detached, connect them to a nine-volt battery and observe the speaker. If the speaker still works, then the speaker is fine, which means that there is a problem with the wiring.
- Use a multimeter tester for a more accurate reading when checking the wiring. Check the OHMS, and if the reading is 1.0, then the speaker is not blown and it is something else that is the problem. If the reading is infinite, then the speaker is blown and needs to be changed.
- Inspect the amplifier and see if it affects the sound. If distortion is heard, then that can mean there is a bad fuse or capacitor, and that your speaker is not damaged.
- Check out the fuse box and see if all of the fuses are operating at their full capacity. Use a multimeter that is set to the “conductivity test” to check for this problem.
What Size Speaker Fits My Car?
When you are deciding to install new speakers into your car, you need to make sure that they can fit. All the work will be for naught if the speakers are not the correct size. There are several steps that can be taken to guarantee that your new speakers will be installed correctly.
When installing new speakers into an audio system, make sure that the measurements are accurate. Use this information to compare the new speakers and see if they will be able to fit into the car.
- Check the measurement markers for the inbuilt speaker brackets. This can make it easy to fit the new speakers into the old speaker’s slot. Not all speakers have these markers, it is best to check to see if they do.
- There are online databases that can help to match the correct speaker size for your car. All you have to do is input your car model and details into the website and all of the information will be displayed. These online tools can also assist with testing various functions such as balance and clarity.
- Check the manual that came with the car for any information that can be useful for setting up the size of the speaker. Use the data in the charts provided as a guideline when trying to install the new speakers into the car.
- You should also perform trial and error and check out the various speakers that are available. This method may be time-consuming but can open a door to advantages that may have never been discovered before with your type of system.
- Sometimes it is best to have a professional check out the size and design of a speaker for installation. This type of advice is usually sought after when the installation procedure is very difficult.
- Some speakers can be installed into your car door and others can’t be installed. Make sure that the speakers that you purchase will fit. Review the many different sizes for speakers for increased sound potential. Know the various sizes and see which ones are adequate for what you need with your sound system. Match the particular size to your car door to guarantee that you have the correct setup. Here are some sizes that will fit into your car door and some that won’t. Be able to know the difference in them to familiarize yourself, some can fit into a car door and others can not.
- Speakers that are six by nine inches give good sound quality, but without being loud in your ear. The size is reasonable and can fit with a plethora of vehicle designs and styles. They may be smaller than woofers and subwoofers, but they can still take up a large amount of space.
- Speakers that have a range that is five by seven offers a wide range of sound and clarity. This size is also good with fitting into a large variety of car models. The only bad thing about using these types of speakers is that they have specific ports and they will not work with the wrong adaptation when installing into an audio system.
- Six-point five-inch speakers are your basic models that you place inside of a car audio system. This is the norm that is found in most vehicles and such is the standard for speakers in a car. They offer a wide variation in sound output and will adapt to most car systems because they are standard.
- Woofers and subwoofers have a range from eight to fifteen inches and can display a variety of sounds and increase bass power with the size.
- Tweeters are speakers with a size that ranges from 1 inch to 2 inches. They give good support to the other speakers when adapted to a sound system. Tweeters allow the sound system to balance itself.
Size and style play a large part when it comes to quality and sound in a car. The right sound system needs the right speakers in order to attain the best potential for listening pleasure. A sound system should run at its optimal efficiency by following these steps and making sure to know the correct information before installing.
Car Door Speaker Buying Guide
Knowing the right information can be a value when it comes to installing car door speakers. Knowing tips and tricks that can make the work easy is always beneficial and can reduce time and cost.
The range of the frequency determines the sound quality and how it is directed. By adjusting the frequency of the speakers, you will be able to increase the effect of the sound. Tweeters function as a means of creating high directional high-frequency sounds and if they are aimed at the correct angle, they can produce a most dramatic effect. Using crossovers allows for an even distribution of the frequencies between the woofer and the tweeter. Power isn’t wasted between the speakers because frequencies aren’t reproduced by units in the system that aren’t meant to handle those sounds. The result is a cleaner audio system with high efficiency and quality sound. These crossovers also include bi-amping which allows for the system to have separate sound amplification for both woofer and tweeter. This type of design is used for high-performance systems when they are installed.
When we discuss variables such as, Power Handling, we are discussing the amount of power that a speaker can handle. Low powered systems don’t need speakers that will handle large amounts of electrical output. On the other hand, systems with high amounts of power need speakers that can handle large amounts of power. The secret to Power Handling is the power handling for the maximum RMS and not the peak power. Real measurements look at the extended amounts of time that a speaker can handle power, not short intervals.
Type of Speaker – Full Range (Coaxial) or Component
When trying to decide what type of speaker will fit best into a car system, one will have to consider the possibilities of Full-range and Component speakers. Full-range speakers provide all of the elements of a speaker in one. They have a woofer for the low-end ranged sounds and tweeters for the high-end ranged sounds giving the unit a full range of sound frequencies. Some designs also include additional sound add-ons such as midrange and super-tweeter.
Use Full-range speakers to replace the factory ones without having too much trouble or issues. Full-range speakers carry a wide variety of designs and types to accommodate all models of car audio systems. There is a wide variety of prices and power ranges to choose, allowing for greater versatility and they can fit into any budget.
Another type of speaker, called the Component speaker, is designed to give you superior sound. A component system uses separate woofers, tweeters, and external crossovers to create a dynamic audio system that offers better sound quality. The units can be placed in many different types of locations to acquire a better sound experience. By using Component speakers, a person can find the most adequate potential for “imaging” the sound system in the car. These types of speakers are made out of better materials and can offer exceptional sound quality and detail.
When trying to decide what type of speaker is best for a system, it is best to consider the effects of impedance. Impedance means the amount of resistance electricity will have when sending it to the speaker. Less resistance means more electrical signal will get through to the speaker. It is best to check the impedance range of a speaker when connecting it to an amplifier. Not all amplifiers are set to work with the same impedance when it comes to speakers. Review the material about the impedance on a specific speaker to see if it will match your system.
The measurement of speaker sensitivity concentrates on the amount of sound a speaker can yield when power is applied to the unit. Low power systems are ranked at a level that is 15 watts RMS per channel or lower. These include many types of factory installed speakers that are in cars. These types of speakers do well with high sensitivity rankings that range in 90 dB. If your system is high powered, such as 16 watts RMS or higher, then you are going to need speakers with a low sensitivity ranking. With the correct powered system, the sound quality will be quite excellent.
The material that the speaker is made from also plays an important part in the quality of the sound. It will also determine the durability of that speaker as well. Woofer materials are stiff yet lightweight in nature and are made from a synthetic material like polypropylene. Speakers with woven fabrics or metal coated synthetics are also used and can do well with a wide variation in temperature and moisture. Tweeter materials are soft like poly, silk, or textile blends which makes the sound more refined sending out a mellow sound. Surround materials on woofers allows for free movement of the cone giving a much deeper bass sound. The material that is used is rubber based and provides excellent longevity, quality, and performance. Less expensive Surround Materials include Foam and Cloth.
Connection and Cabling
Having the correct speakers, woofers, tweeters, and any other component won’t matter if the devices aren’t wired correctly. The flow of electricity throughout the unit must be even and balanced in order to avoid problems with the audio system. Amplifiers function as a means to provide electrical pressure to a circuit. OHMS are used when measuring resistance against the electrical pressure of the audio system. Watts are used to check the range of how much power will be released. Voice coils are used to create the electrical resistance and perform the duties of the system.
Problems can happen when the amplifier provides more power to the system than needed because of incorrect impedance adjustments. This causes the amplifier to shut down because of overheating before burning out. Consider the range and output of the amplifier when attaching it to the system. Also, consider the outcome of wiring options that will change the level of impedance because of the cross connection of multiple sub systems and voice coils. Use dual voice coils to increase wiring options when setting up an audio system. Use RMS ratings to determine the power output needed for the amplifier to attain adequate sound quality for the system.
The price of many of these speakers can have a varied range depending on what type of system you have installed or would like to install. The cost can be anywhere from hundred dollars to more than one thousand depending on the system. When deciding on installation, you will have the option of doing it yourself, or hiring a professional. Review your budget and see what will determine what choice you will make. The type of system can also make a difference. More complicated installations may need to have a professional work done to avoid damage and injury.
Before attempting to start installation, it is always best to have the correct tools. Each tool is used to help in every facet of replacing the current speakers with the new ones. By having these tools present during your project, it will make the procedure easier.
- Have a utility knife.
- An Electric drill and the bits that it needs.
- A heat gun will be handy.
- Hand tools for wires and cables.
- Pliers will be needed.
- Get heat shrink tubing.
- Electrical tape should be in the list as well.
- Philips and Slotted screwdrivers to help dissemble items.
- A ratchet and sockets should be on the list.
- A soldering gun will be helpful with wire connections.
With these items, the work should move along smoothly without complication. Always consider the placement of the amplifier when wiring the system. Make sure that the amplifier is grounded and check how wire placement is set inside of the car.
Remember these 6 quick steps when removing and replacing the door speakers in an audio system.
- Remove the currently installed speaker and grille with care. Many of these door speaker units have foam or sealant, you may need to cut through it. Take care to check the wiring system while the speakers are being removed from the door.
- Check to see if the wiring harness is unplugged and that the polarity is correct. Test the speaker before placing it in its location.
- Look over the connections and make sure that everything is correct and set in its proper place. Test the speaker on more time before the grille is reattached.
- You may have to remove the door panel as this is the case in most new cars when installing speakers into the door.
- Consider the possibility that you may have to modify the door to mount full-range speaker systems. This job can be very difficult and does call for someone who has the experience in this area.
- Installing the rear speakers will be very different than the front speakers. You may have to do more work to finish the project. You may have to crawl into the trunk of the car or pull back the seat to complete the work.